I got stunned when a recent text message by a good friend says, “what’s the 10 Best Films of The Decade for you?”
For one, I havent made a list yet. Tapos na pala ang unang dekada matapos ang bagong milenyo. Im not really a learned film critic, but Id like to believe I have a discerning taste when it comes to movies.I actually have maintained a consistent personal barometer what constitutes a good film – and it should always draw to my own personal taste. It has to have moved me when I watched it. It has to have amazed me with its passion. It has to be about the truth and how it has to have a new version of it. It has to be something close to my heart.
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER
1. Big Time [Mario Cornejo/Monster Jimenez-2005] – It must be the wit. the dark funny attitude towards extraordinarily ordinary struggle of ordinary people in a very twisted way. Airtight direction, full stop.
2. Laro Sa Baga [Chito Rono/Edgardo Reyes-2000] – It’s exactly how I imagined it when I first read it in Liwayway.Morning Breeze Subdivision is authentic. The final seduction scene is ecstatic. It’s melodrama in an epic kind of way. One of the best acting ensemble in Philippine Cinema.
3. Tirador [Brillante Mendoza/Ralston Jover -2007] – The authenticity of the whole experience..the opening scene alone defines the entire digital generation.
4. Ang Damgo Ni Eleuteria [Remton Zuazola-2010] – It’s an hour and a half long of continuous shot which cant be faked says it all but the biggest portion of its entire greatness is the screenplay that must have been written by the entire cast – but they owe it all to the mighty Creator – His new name is Remton.
5. Kinatay [Brillante Mendoza/Armando Lao- 2009] – Cinema verite to the extreme…and it is almost an interactive experience. That’s how powerful it is.
6. Ang Pagdadalaga Ni Maximo Oliveros [Auraeus Solito/Michiko Yamamoto-2005] – One of those rare films that when you watch you can feel that both the writer and the director breathe in equally. It’s almost a love affair to love of cinema. It’s a perfect coming of age film – gay or otherwise.
7. Sheika [Arnel Mardoquio-2010] – No other mother can bear that pain with no name subjected to Shi. And you thought Nora Aunor gave the world the best performance that this little country can singularly represent.
8. Hubog [Joel Lamangan/Roy Iglesias-2010] – This is the film why until now Jay Manalo remains to be my favorite actor. This is the film that reminds me that Joel Lamangan is a no-nonsense director even if he also did the worst of the decade [Heavenly Touch]. This is the film that reminds us how unforgiving is the society where corruption is the root cause of endless poverty.
9. Laman [Maryo J Delos Reyes/Wali Ching-2002] – Except for that pesky tattoo of Lolita De Leon, this film is sheer perfection: performance, direction, screenplay, cinematography…..it’s one of those stories in film that you get shocked when they dont apologize for anything – they just go along and ride through the cliff.
10. Last Supper # 3 [Veronica Velasco/Jinky Laurel-2009] – You want intelligent comedy? Dont go any farther. You want socio-realism? Here’s something that doesnt bore. Here’s something that doesnt preach. Here’s one of the best films of the last decade.
ARCHIE DEL MUNDO