2009 was a year when shame and honor hit all headlines not just in the Philippines but overseas as well. Who are the people behind the news? We present to you our Top 10 Newsmakers of 2009…
TOP 10 NEWSMAKERS OF 2009
1. HAYDEN KHO – Earlier this year, Dr. Hayden Kho was the topic of all headlines after his sex videos leaked on the internet. The news lingered as his controversial sex videos with Katrina Halili, Maricar Reyes and a Brazilian model circulated one by one from various porn sites to pirated DVD vendors. His saga continued the whole year round from revocation of his medical license, from getting splashed with water by an ex-cop during the Senate hearing to rumors that he committed suicide. There is no doubt that Hayden is our no. 1 newsmaker of 2009!
2. MANNY PACQUIAO – Our Pambansang Kamao made history after he became the first boxer in world to win 7 world titles in 7 different weight divisions. His winning bouts against Hatton last May and against Cotto last November were sensational. Pacquiao has been included by Time Magazine as one of the world’s most influential people for the year 2009, for his exploits in boxing and his influence among the Filipino people. Pacquiao was also included by Forbes Magazine in its annual Celebrity 100 list for the year 2009. Pacquiao had also won the 2009 ESPY Awards for the Best Fighter category. And to cap a great year for Pacman was the controversy about his alleged love affair with Wapakman co-star Krista Ranillo.
3. FORMER PRESIDENT CORAZON AQUINO – After the former president succumbed to colon cancer last August 1, 2009, the whole country mourned and other nations commemorated her contribution in democracy. There were even petitions to elevate her as national hero and even a saint. Her son Noynoy was then urged to run for President to continue the “people power” legacy.
4. KATRINA HALILI and MARICAR REYES (tie) – Katrina and Maricar were the two identified women involved in the Hayden Kho Sex Video scandal. The two had different ways in dealing with the controversy. As Katrina was all out to fight Hayden, Vicki Belo and the distributors of the DVD, Maricar chose to be silent and concentrated more on her flourishing showbiz career. Nevertheless, both Katrina and Maricar made various headlines and their names were prominent in the search engine “Google” for the whole year.
5. KORINA SANCHEZ AND MAR ROXAS – Their wedding last October 27, 2009 was dubbed as the marriage of politics and media. Even the tiniest detail of this event has been captured by the press as people are following the political plans of Mar and the transformation of Korina from a fierce broadcaster to a submissive wife.
6. EFREN PEÑAFLORIDA – His winning CNN Hero of the Year was a pleasant gift for the country who just suffered the Ondoy blow. Filipinos around the world celebrated this notable achievement and many were inspired to do advocacy works.
7. CARLO J. CAPARAS – To be or not to be a national artist became a dilemma to this film director whose graphic novels are being adapted on television and movies. Among the national artists awardee this year, Caparas received the most objections from critics. Even former national artist awardees staged a “necrological service” for the death of such honor because of him.
8. BRILLIANTE MENDOZA – He made everyone proud after winning Best Director in the most prestigious international film festival in the world – the Cannes International Film Festival. His work for the film Kinatay earned him accolades in the international film industry most specially when he bested Oscar winners like Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction) and Ang Lee (Sense and Sensibility, Brokeback Mountain).
9. JUDY ANN SANTOS AND RYAN AGONCILLO – Their “secret wedding” in San Juan Batangas last April 28 surprised everyone. Media catched up afterwards on the how’s and the why’s in what supposed to be the wedding of the year.
10. WILLIE REVILLAME – This list will not be complete without the controversy-magnet noontime show host. Dubbed as the most powerful local celebrity and perhaps the richest (even richer than Manny Pacquiao?), Willie made it to the headlines once again as expected when he ordered his staff on noontime show Wowowee to remove the video clips of former President Corazon “Cory” Aquino’s funeral cortege playing on the screen while he’s hosting his show. He took an indefinite leave after that and returned. There were also speculations about him running for public office but later announced that he won’t pursue the plan for now. The latest incident concerning the Megastar re-sparked the boycott petition against him and there were even rumors that it could lead to ABS-CBN’s drastic move to replace him with Vhong Navarro.